Thursday, May 10, 2007

Postcard #7 - Protoypes, Breadboards, etc.

Scroll to the end of this post to see a summary.

Lately I've been looking at ways of doing prototyping without trying to create my own PCBs. Since my goal is to have a T1 connect to a USB port, I must have at least those two elements. However, I'm 99% certain that I'll need intermediate logic and circuitry, which is where the FPGA comes in. That leaves me with at least three different prototype/breadboards:
  1. USB prototype board, like the CY3682 from Cypress
  2. T1 SCT prototype board, like the DS2155DK from Maxim/Dallas Semiconductor
  3. FPGA prototype board, like the Nexys, Basys, or S3BOARD from Digilent
Here are some notes on the above items:

First, the USB prototype boards from Cypress seem to be in low supply, and they cost about 500 USD. I'm not sure what that's all about. There is a MoBL ('mobile') version but I'm not entirely certain that it is what we're looking for. An alternative might be the USB2 from Digilent. Technically it's just a communications board that allows the S3BOARD to be USB-ready, but I contacted Digilent tech support and they said that it could be jury-rigged to work with the Nexys or Basys. NOTE: messing with the USB firmware on the Nexys or USB2 will void the warranty! Digilent also has lots of other accessory boards for the mad scientist types.

Second, the DS development kit is 400 USD and it includes the DK101 low-cost motherboard that can be used with other Maxim development kits. This may be my only option other than trying to design my own PCB and having it manufactured or creating my own the old fashioned way. I will keep looking before I drop the money for this one. One thing I'll do more research on is the possibility of a small, custom breadboard by utilizing something like an SMT
adapter. I'll report back when I know more. [ UPDATE: I found some handy stuff at beldynsys.com. Specifically, I found a socket adapter for QFP100 packages.]

Third, I am REALLY impressed with the Digilent products and tech support. They answered my questions very quickly and were quite helpful. I expect that I will be ordering a Nexys board here very soon. (100 USD)

If anyone out there has experience with creating PCBs, especially in doing breadboards with SMT components then I'd be very interested in your input. Please feel free to leave a comment.

That's all for now...

-MC


Summary:
  • I'm researching development kits for USB, FPGA, and T1 SCT
  • Digilent has very cool stuff
  • USB and T1 prototyping seem more difficult (i.e. more expensive)
  • I'm doing more research into other options for SMT prototyping

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.